WHAT IS LEVOFEM?
LEVOFEM is a daily contraceptive pill that is safe and effective at preventing pregnancy.
WHAT DOES LEVOFEM CONTAIN
LEVOFEM contains 28 tablets. The 21 cream tablets contain low amounts of levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol which are similar to the natural female hormones called estrogen and progesterone while the 7 white tablets contain iron for blood building.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
LEVOFEM works by delaying ovulation and causing changes in the mucus at the cervix which prevents sperm from entering the womb. It also prevents the attachment of any egg that may be fertilized by attaching to the walls of the womb.
HOW SHOULD I USE LEVOFEM
LEVOFEM is to be taken daily. There are 2 ways to start using LEVOFEM:
- You can either start during the first five days of your menstrual period and be protected immediately.
- You can start on any other day of your cycle if it is confirmed that you are not already pregnant (do a pregnancy test). But you should abstain from sexual intercourse or use a condom for the first 7 days.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS AND HOW DO YOU HANDLE THEM
Some women may experience side effects. Common side effects to expect include impaired appetite, slight changes in body weight or libido, spotting between periods, nausea, headaches, breast tenderness and enlargement. These side effects are temporary and should disappear after the first few packs. If you vomit or have bad diarrhoea within 4 hours of taking a LEVOFEM tablet, take another tablet as soon as you feel better.
For nausea, take after food our take during your bedtime. Over the counter anti-emetic drugs can help to prevent vomiting.
For a headache, be sure it is not hunger pang. Over the counter pain relieving tablets can be used. Eating food rich in fruit and fibre and exercising will help with any weight gain concern
OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
HOW TO REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR PILLS
For you to always remember to take your pills you can:
- Set an alarm on your phone and set another alarm for 30 minutes later
- Check it off on a calendar you use or get someone else (like your partner or best friend) to remind you
- Incorporate it into your daily routine.
- Take a pill in the same spot every day.
- Use visual reminders (like placing a sticky note on your mirror or laptop)
- Take it at a convenient time every day (first thing in the morning or last thing in the night)
HOW TO HANDLE MISSED PILLS
- If you missed just one pill: You should take it as soon as you remember, and the next one should be taken at the normal time (or you can take the two pills together). You should afterwards continue to take your pills daily
- If you missed two or more pills in a row: You should take 2 pills as soon as you remember. You should thereafter continue to take your pills daily and during the next 7 days, you must either use a FIESTA condom or POSTPILL if you want to have sexual intercourse.
WHAT IF I MISS A WHITE PILL?
You can discard each missed pill so you will know when to start a new pack of LEVOFEM.